At the hospital everything went smooth and Zion was as cooperative as could be. After he changed into his little gown, we watched him go to sleep. Luckily, I was able to hold back my tears until he was out. 
That's when the waiting game began. The surgery was expected to take about 45 minutes but when it comes to your baby, 45 minutes might as well have been an eternity. After about an hour, the doctor came into the waiting room and stated that the surgery had gone well and that we should soon be able to join him in the recovery room. This was great news. However, after about 45 minutes, we were still in the waiting room. We started to get a little worried and thought that maybe they had forgotten about us. That's when the doctor came out again. He told us that Zion was having a little trouble breathing on his own but that it shouldn't be much longer for us to see him. Once again we waited. When the doctor came out the 3rd time he stated that Zion had stopped breathing 3 times. After the 3rd time, the doctor had to place the tube back down his throat. They would be removing it within the next 20 minutes. All I could think of was that my baby had been fighting for his life and I didn't even know it. We finally were able to join him in the recovery room. For the next 4-5 hours, we just watched Zion doze in and out. The doctor decided to keep him over night to be on the safe side. Once settled into the room, all I could do was watch the pulse oximeter which tells you how much oxygen is in the blood. Making sure it stayed above a certain level. That evening, his brother, grandparents and auntie Tee came to visit at the hospital. I was so greatful that "Oma" (grandma) and auntie Tee were in town to be with Noah. Saying good night was hard on both Noah, who didn't want to leave his brother behind, and Zion, who wanted to go home with him.
Zion was released from the hospital that next morning. He's still recovering but slowly getting stronger. We're just thankful to be home and back to our normal every day lives. It was just a little reminder to be thankful for the little things in life and to enjoy every day of it.
2 comments:
Oh Tina! I am sooo glad that he is doing alright. Give him a big smooch for us!
That must have been so scary. I think that you are a trooper too!
Post a Comment